Wednesday, July 25, 2007

# 8 Make Life "Really Simple" with RSS & a Newsrea...

Our next lesson in Learning web 2.0 here at EKU Libraries was to learn about RSS feeds. What is RSS? For this weeks lesson we had a great video that explains more about RSS, watch the video. Instead of me taking the time (that I don't have) to go to each of my favorite websites to see what's new, I can just go to one place and all the new information is waiting for me.

I have been using bloglines for about two months now, and at first I thought to myself this is not going to work. Little did I know that I would become addicted to it. Since I created the bloglines account my life has been simplified so much. I visit one place anytime I am free instead of 5 or more and all the information that I want is there waiting for me. Since I have been using bloglines for some time, I decided to create a Google Reader account to see how it differs from the bloglines. So far I prefer the Google Reader. I love Google, Gmail and just prefer the "Google way of life." I thought that setting my "feeds" in the Google Reader was easier and simpler than this process in bloglines. I had to many options to choose from in bloglines, whereas in Google Reader I just added the link and I was done. I still have some more exploring to do with Google Reader so later I may find problems in their system that I don't like. I will just have to wait and see.

Here's the challenge to anyone who reads my blog: I recommend that you take a day and make a note of all the websites you visit in one day and calculate the time you spend at each site. I think you will be amazed!! Then create your reader account add your favorite websites and blogs and then see the difference. You will be so thankful not only for the convenience factor, but look at all the time your saving.

No comments: