Tuesday, July 10, 2007

#5 Facebook

In the previous post on "social networking 101" I sort of covered some of the reasons why I prefer Facebook over Myspace.

After listening to the podcast about Facebook I was really shocked to hear the usage statistics between the two sites. I think the thing the attracts more students to use Facebook or login daily is the "homepage." It is a quick place to go to find information about your friends without having to search for it. Many times I login to look only at the homepage, this way if I want to see more I can but if not I just log out. Myspace on the other hand is to hard to find people, the email spam filters are awful, it's not user friendly and most importantly the privacy settings are not that good. I have recently thought about deleting my Myspace account because I hate to even check it. There is one other thing that I don't like about Myspace and that is the backgrounds you can set. Some people have so much crap and colors on their page that you can't even read the text (maybe that is the reason, someone please enlighten me on this:-)). I like the fact that on Facebook every thing is the same color and it's easy to read.

I do like Ning's suggestion on her blog that it would be nice if we could add music to our pictures or even our page (that would be cool). I think music can tell you a lot about a person, so that would be a nice feature to add. Overall I would recommend Facebook.

No comments: