Thursday, November 15, 2007

#12 - Tagging

For this web 2.0 lesson we were to explore the idea of tagging. What in the world is tagging, is what you may be wondering. To learn what exactly tagging is click here.

In this lesson we were to do a search in Google and then do the same search in eQuest, the library's catalog. Since I am a community health education major, I decided to search for something that is a hot topic in my area of study. I did a search in Google on HPV. This search resulted in over 10 pages of results. The results were an array of resources such as scholarly information, newspaper articles, pictures, to statistical information on HPV and the new vaccine. I did the same search in the library's catalog, but my results list was a lot smaller. How about this, I only found one book and one government document that discussed HPV. There are a few reasons why this may have occurred, in particular the keyword HPV might not have been a good search term to use. The library catalog suggested subjects terms such as sex, sexual ethics, or "sex and law."

In my opinion I think tagging is a form of cataloging. Actually I think it is a better way of cataloging. The logistics behind tagging is good, but the key to this is to use a lot of different words in tagging. Tagging will not be very beneficial with just a few words. The old saying "the more the merrier" can be applied to this lesson of tagging.

No comments: